1. Who are eligible to apply?
The eligibility criteria for selection as a Fellow can be the following:
2. I turned 30 in February 2021. Am I eligible to apply?
- Should be a citizen of India
- Age between 21-30 years at the time of application
- At least a graduate in any discipline (engineering, law, medicine, social sciences, etc.) from a recognized university or a post-graduate from a recognized university.
3. What personal qualities are you looking for in candidates?
- The program is open to all candidates who are in the age group of 21 – 30 years of age at the time of application. As the closing date for applications is 27th of March 2021, hence, you are eligible if you are born in-between 27-03-1991 and 27-03-2000.
We expect the candidates to:
4. Is work experience desirable to be an MGN Fellow?
- display a commitment and passion towards skill/rural development.
- display an ability to work in challenging environment with colleagues from different backgrounds.
- possess adaptability, commitment, perseverance, and initiative
5. Are candidates with master’s degrees preferred?
- Three years of work experience after secondary schooling in the social/non-profit sector with an interest in working in rural areas is preferred. However, individuals with no work experience and a strong motivation to work in this area may apply.
6. Do I need to know any local language?
- The only essential criteria are that candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in any academic discipline. Candidates with master's degrees are welcome to apply but will not have an advantage over other candidates. Similarly, the MGNF does not give preference to any particular academic discipline.
7. Is English proficiency a requirement?
- Yes, it is very important to be able to converse, read and write the local language since assignment to a state will be driven by the candidate’s ability to participate in the language of communication used by the state government. Candidates should have proficiency in any one or more of the following languages: Assamese, Bengali, English, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Konkani, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Mizo, Nepali, Odiya, Punjabi, Tamil, and Telugu.
8. Can I apply if I am a final year student (2021 pass out)? This course commences by July 2021, and I graduate in June 2021. Am I eligible to apply?
- Yes, English is important. The Entrance test is in English. Further, candidates are expected to able to converse, read and write in English given that the medium of instruction during the on-campus module at IIMs is English.
9. What are the application dates for the Fellowship?
- No, you are not eligible to apply since you must submit your graduation marksheet at the time of submitting the application.
10. Can I choose any state of my choice in the application form?
- Applications to MGNF 2021-23 are currently closed.
11. Does the entire application need to be completed within one session?
- Yes, you can the state of your choice in the application form, provided you are proficient in the local language of the state. However please note that the final decision on the state will be based on the candidate’s language ability, performance during interviews, MSDE priorities, and judgement of candidate fit arrived at during the admissions process.
12. I am not an Indian citizen, but I hold a PIO/OCI card. Am I eligible for the MGNF?
- Yes, the entire application needs to be completed in one session. If you exit the application form before completing it, the information will not be saved. We recommend that you keep all the relevant documents at hand before starting the application so that your session does not expire.
13. If unsuccessful, can I reapply in the future?
- The Fellowship is open to Indian citizens only. "Indian citizen" implies someone holding an Indian passport or eligible to hold one. Individuals holding PIO/OCI cards are not eligible for the MGNF.
14. How much is the application fee?
- Yes, you can re-apply in the next academic year. You’ll have to submit a fresh application the following year.
15. How much is the early bird discount?
- The application fee is INR 500 + GST.
16. What is the required length for the Statement of Purposes?
- Candidates applying by March 7, 2021 will be eligible for a discounted application fee of INR 400 + GST.
17. What should I write in the Statement of Purpose?
- The Statement of Purpose should not be more than 800 words.
18. What references do I need to submit? Should the current designation of the referee be entered or the one during the time of the professional/ academic relationship?
- Your statement of purpose should identify professional and academic goals. You can discuss what excites you about MGNF and how you propose to contribute to it based on your past work history, your interests, and any other relevant experience. Your statement should offer insight into who you are as an individual.
19. Which marksheet must be uploaded - 10th/12th or Graduation?
- We ask the candidates to provide two references, either academic or professional. Please mention current designation of the referees while providing their details.
20. I belong to the SC/ST/OBC/EWS/PwD category. Do I need to submit any documents?
- All the three marksheets - 10th, 12th, and Graduation (and Post-graduation, if applicable) must be uploaded on the application portal.
- Yes, applicants belonging to SC/ST/OBC (Non-Creamy Layer)/EWS/PwD category must upload relevant, currently valid reservation documents issued by a competent authority.